Saturday, May 9, 2015

A letter to my daughter on Mother's Day.

Mother's Day is a day to celebrate all the mom's in the world. Mother's are given a day to be recognized for all they do day in and day out. Although they should be celebrated everyday, there is one specific day every year for just that, so why not bask in the glory of breakfast in bed, pampering, and a nice dinner not cooked by you? This is my 3rd Mother's Day. I haven't actually ever celebrated because my daughter is still young, and frankly I just don't see the point. But this year I decided to sit down and embrace the glory of being a mother. I wanted to celebrate the reason I even have the title of "mom". This Mother's Day, I salute my daughter.

Without you, my darling girl, I wouldn't know what it feels like to miss sleep. Without you, I wouldn't have boo-boo's to kiss, meals to cook, and messes to clean. Without you, there would be no toys to pick up, clothes to wash, or drinks to refill. Without you, I wouldn't know the feeling of complete exhaustion. Because of you, I have a reason to get up out of bed every morning, even when I don't want too. Because of you, I am able to push through every bad day, and bad mood. Because of you, even when the sky is gray, I have a little piece of sunshine with me. My days aren't quiet, my meals aren't warm, and my showers aren't long, but my heart is full, my soul is nourished, and my life is complete. Before you I didn't know what it meant to love someone so much that it actually hurt. Before you, I had no idea what I was missing in my life. You have given me happiness, strength, and patience; all things that I lacked before you. On Mother's Day I am supposed to celebrate myself, but instead all I want to do is celebrate you. Mother's Day would be just another day if I didn't have you. I made you, but you made me a mother. You've given me the greatest title in the world, and I am lucky to have it. Not every day is easy, and sometimes I want to give up, but you are always there to remind me I'm doing okay. You are always there to take my head out of the clouds, and plant my feet back on the ground. You give me the determination I need to never give up. You give me endless reasons to appreciate life, and to love with all that I have. Because of you, my bad days aren't so bad, and my good days are far beyond just good. You have taught me to love myself for exactly who I am, because who I am is just fine. You have shown me that I am capable of giving love. But most importantly, you have shown me that I am able to be loved.

This Mother's Day I am grateful not just to be a mother, but to be your mother. Thank you for trusting me with your precious life. Thank you for teaching me the real meaning of life, love, and happiness. Thank you for allowing me the freedom to be me. Thank you for being you. I promise to always be there when you call, and I promise to always love you through it all. Happy Mother's Day to my reason to celebrate such a special day. My love for you is fierce, baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment